Thursday, March 4, 2010

When is it okay to storm the court?

Today I have been hearing a lot about storming the court at basketball games, so I thought I would voice my opinion about it.

The reason everyone is talking about it is because of the Duke vs. Maryland game last night. Maryland upset Duke and thousands of fans and students stormed the court. It was an upset but was it a big enough upset to storm the court? I do not think it was. I like the idea of storming the court. I think it is a fun way to express team spirit, but there should be limits. I don’t think you should storm the court every single time your team wins a game. However, there are a few situations when it is okay.

  1. An Un-ranked team beats a top 5 team.
  2. A team wins a National Championship
  3. A team beats a rival with a buzzer beater
  4. It is an important night for that particular team (i.e. senior night)

Other than those reasons I do not see a point in storming the court. There are certain other times that it can be justified to storm the court, but if a number 20 team beats the number 4 team than it’s not that amazing because obviously they're good enough to be ranked. I would like to see UNC storm the court after they beat Duke because that would be a true upset. It would be an unranked team beating a highly ranked team who is a rival. Wouldn’t that be amazing? The only other thing it needs is a buzzer beater.

No comments:

Post a Comment